NewBioGen aims to address the currently commercial problems in hip industry by developing an innovative product and a new production process. In more details, NewBioGen project targets to develop new biocompatible raw materials, design and manufacture a scale up production process for the development of orthopaedic hip implants and manufacture of implants with low modulus which will be near to the bone, not toxic, lower price, enhanced wear resistance and will last more than the current solutions currently in the market.
As for the specific Technological and Scientific Objectives, NewBioGen will have four technological objectives and 3 scientific objectives as stated below.
- Development of biocompatible raw materials mixture with low elastic modulus.
- Development of orthopaedic implant which will allow the tissue ingrowth through the interconnected pores, the improved tribological and wear resistance properties.
- Development of an automated mixing and airtight packaging equipment.
- Development of a ZrO2/Zr coating on the implant with eliminated coating separation risk.
- Development of an automated scale up production equipment for improved orthopaedic implants.
- Development of a simulation model for powder metallurgy production process.